Mont-Blanc - France
The nearest climbing crag to Chamonix Excellent place for initiation. having a picnic and generally relaxing. Dries quickly.
Straight in front of the parking, (on the back road down the valley on the outskirts of Chamonix.)
The crag has various different areas :
• Grand Gailland 70m max, up tp 3 pitches, 30 routes: The main crag, being the highest and nearest. Ver popular with routes from 4 to 6a.
• Petit Gailland 45m max, up to 2 pitches, 27 routes: just to the right of the Grand Gailland, similar climbing, if shorter. Some harder routes, especially on the overhangs on the right.
• Vipères 70m max, up to 3 pitches, 6 routes : In the woods just to the left of the main crag, above a source. Mainly grade 3, (with a pitch of 4 right at the top.)
• Forestiers 60m max, up to 3 pitches, 30 routes : Higher up and on the left, with a nice open space at its foot. Mainly F5.
• Chasseurs 25m max, single pitches, 10 routes : Just to the left of the Forestiers, An overhanging section giving the hardest routes at the Gaillands.
• Dièdre Frendo 60m max, up to 3 pitches, 24 routes : Reached by following the path under the Chasseurs. It has been recently bolted and less frequented. Has some great grade 5 climbs, e.g L’arete, Dix-huit Berges and Getrude.
• Picsou 12m max, single pitch, 12 routes
Means of descent
Abseil, belays in place
Closed around the 15th August each year for the “Guides Show”.